Thursday, April 2, 2009

Exhibition hanging

Harvest coffee exhibition

Harvest coffee exhibition

It's been a busy, busy week since we got back from NYC, and on Saturday afternoon I hung a wall-full of paintings at Harvest coffee in Houston. The exhibition is simply titled "New Work" and is all work done in the last 12 months. Harvest have two walls that they use to exhibit works by local artists - sometimes photography, sometimes paintings, sometimes mosaics. They also have live jazz two nights a week, on Mondays and Thursday; and they make a wonderful soy latte. With that, free wi-fi and more sofas than the national coffee chain, what's not to love?

I will be sending out invitations to an artist's reception in the next few days - to get a copy sign up for my mailing list.

Remember the acrylic paint store, Guerra paints, I mentioned last time? I have ordered my first set of paints from them and I'm very excited! I ordered a very basic palette of pigment dispersions - 2 blues, 2 yellows, 1 red (I have a ton of red tubes left) and 2 whites. I did say basic - right back to my first color mixing lessons basic. Also the acrylic base and the thickener. As soon as they arrive I will start experimenting and I'll put the results here. I'm hoping to get a huge range of paint consistencies without foaming or binding issues. I will also try mixing the paints I make with the paints and mediums I already have.

Harvest coffee exhibition

Harvest coffee exhibition, part 2

On a different subject I have been loving Luann Udell's 25 Random Things: Action Steps for your Artist's Statement. I finally realized last night that my statement is not about all the work I will ever do (including in the future) but only about what I do right now. I don't know why that wasn't obvious to me before. Such a perfectionist!

3 comments:

  1. nice art, did you show at Bayou City?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck with the exhibition, it really looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes in your exhibit! Nice thing about art in coffee houses is that the people actually talk about the art.

    ReplyDelete