Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Cheap and Easy Canvas Storage


I built this canvas storage rack for myself using cheap IKEA shelving, adapting some that I already had and then purchasing a few more supports. They are essentially sideways bookshelves that are then connected together for stability.

I made 3 sections - 2 for large canvases (up to 30"x40") and a central section for smaller canvases.

For each section of storage you will need:
  • 2 off 12"x49" IVAR supports;
  • 2 or 3 off 12" x 33" IVAR shelves (2 if your canvases are large, 3 if they are small)
  • 2 or 4 off 39" OBSERVATOR crossbrace (2 for large, 4 for small). These hold the units square and also stop canvases from falling out.

Instructions for a large canvas rack:
  1. Each support has 3 crossbars. For a large canvas rack you will need to remove the center one from ONE support - a small hacksaw will do it.
  2. Put the shelving unit together, using two supports and two shelves (top and bottom, aligned with the crossbar so canvases will slide in easily).
  3. Use a crossbrace on each side of the unit to support canvases.
Instructions for a small canvas rack:
  1. Do not remove any crossbars from the supports.
  2. Put the shelving unit together, using two supports and three shelves (top, bottom and middle, aligned with the crossbar)
  3. Use 4 crossbraces, 2 on each side, top and bottom, to prevent canvases from falling out

If you are connecting sections together you will only need one set of crossbraces between the two sections.
I made 2 large canvas racks and 1 small canvas rack in the center. I screwed a 2" wide section of planking across the top and bottom to hold the sections together and square. It was cut from a 1"x2"x48" wood plank that I picked up at the hardware store. The screws were some random wood screws I had lying around that were long enough to go through the plank and into the supports. I drilled guide holes through the plank beforehand to ensure that I would line up with the supports.

1 comment:

  1. Thank for for posting this, I was looking for a way to make the same kind of storage, this will help.

    ReplyDelete