Thursday, June 25, 2009

Drawing Every Day

Frangipani sketch, charcoal and graphite on paper

©2009 Caroline Roberts

One of my big goals this summer is to make a habit of drawing something every day. I know that the practice will improve that skill and give me so much more range as a painter. Three days ago I got going and drew a cup and saucer from life, and yesterday I drew this Frangipani flower from a photograph. Sometimes I found it easier to keep turning the picture 90 degrees - I find it easier to judge a curve against the vertical than the horizontal for some reason. I'm pretty pleased with this and (if approved) it will be on the cover of my sister's wedding invitation.

castle reward chart

A quick detour - the above scan is my 'reward' chart that I made to encourage myself in forming my new drawing habit. I'm trying to emphasize visually to myself how every action I take to improve a skill or make connections will help build my 'castle'. Hey, it works for the kids! I made one for my daughter but she started filling hers in from the turrets. Guess I should have started with turrets in the air and built down to the ground too!

11 comments:

  1. What a fun reward chart! And very nice drawing - flowers can be deceptively hard to draw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, Caroline! I honestly have never heard of a reward chart. Maybe because I don't have kids and I can't remember back that far. But I really like it. Did you decide what the reward will be once they're all filled in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angela and Alyson,
    I want most of all to demonstrate to myself how little steps add up. But I think a really special artist's date would be a good reward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Caroline,
    Like the "Reward Chart"! As a teacher my line was always, "Whatever works." Think I like Alyson's idea of a grand reward when the castle is finished.
    Passed a frangipani bush on my morning walk today.Your sketch is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the reward system you have created. What a great way to have accountability. Otherwise, good intentions just seem to slip on by. Funny how we need this extra push sometimes, but I can certainly identify with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use reward charts with some of the kids at my library - for reading to me, then they get a reward such as a lollypop after x number of books. Good on you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a heck of an idea! A tangible, visual tally of your efforts. My artist brain loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm happy to report that the castle chart is really working for me as an incentive. I used to try and set goals like "15 minutes drawing" but having no time limit and the reward of coloring in a little box works much better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the chart! What a great idea.
    The drawing is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am thinking of making a chart like yours and try. I think that I need it too. Thanks for the idea. /Lena

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Caroline,
    Thank you for the info on the ethernet surge protector. Your blog site is looking great. The drawing a day is so smart and I love this frangipani. Have you seen Daily Painters? It is a nice site that has encouraged me, along with yours to get busy and create daily. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete