Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Hurricane Ike - the aftermath

Random things I am thankful for:
  • safety
  • a roof
  • mains water restored
  • hummingbirds at the feeder on the porch
  • health, especially after our neighbor fell and broke her hip
  • a gas cooktop
  • the five-day cooler that keeps my milk fresh
  • ice and the person who drove round our neighborhood yesterday with blocks of ice
  • bottled water
  • daylight
  • cooler weather and windows opened wide
  • wonderful neighbors

For now we're doing without power just fine. I feel a little isolated from the world and detached, floating free of my own life. I'm in a little cocoon where all that matters is family, neighbors and the day-to-day work of survival. For a few days we haven't cared about anything but the most basic of things on the hierarchy of needs - water, food, bodily comfort. We've cleaned up all the debris and, now that we have mains water again, we're spring-cleaning. I'm enjoying this pause in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment