Thursday, August 26, 2010

Work in Progress: Untitled #2

Untitled #2

Untitled #2 - work in progress

©2010 Caroline Roberts


I am back in the studio this week and, after a few days of pootling around with warm-up stuff like gessoing canvases and playing with colored paper, I have returned to the series I started around March. I am experimenting with the process, trying to balance planning with the need to remain sane. I used glazes of the approximate colors as a way of starting in Untitled #2 here, something I have not done before. Below is another work in progress that is currently on the backburner until I work out the process. The complicated shapes and the color balances could easily drive me crazy.

Untitled #2 is a working title - I'm thinking of giving the whole series a title, but what? Maybe Fugue - I think of each color as a 'voice' that has to work in harmony with the others. The areas of flat color are a first stab at getting these colors to work together. I think they may be too vivid, but since these are all the most colorful mixes it's hard to tell. Tomorrow I'll block in the grey tones before I decide. I'll post the next stage and I would really value your opinions on the colors.
The crazymaker painting

Untitled crazymaker painting

©2010 Caroline Roberts

1 comment:

  1. Hi Caroline! I could see why you reference remaining balanced and sane. This would drive a lesser artist crazy. Keep on going. I look forward to seeing the wonderful finish.

    ReplyDelete